“Nothing Else Matters” by Metallica is a timeless rock ballad that transcends the boundaries of heavy metal. Written by James Hetfield, the band’s lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist, this song stands out in Metallica’s discography due to its heartfelt lyrics and melodious composition. Released in 1992 as a single from their iconic self-titled album, often referred to as “The Black Album,” the track quickly became a fan favorite and remains an enduring classic in the world of rock music.
Guitar Tutorial Video
Music Information & History
- Release Date: “Nothing Else Matters” was released as a single on April 20, 1992. It also appears on Metallica’s self-titled fifth studio album, commonly known as “The Black Album,” which was released on August 12, 1991.
- Songwriter: The song was primarily written by James Hetfield, Metallica’s lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist. Hetfield wrote it during a phone conversation with his then-girlfriend, and it was initially a personal and intimate composition.
- Musical Style: “Nothing Else Matters” is known for its softer and more melodic sound compared to many of Metallica’s other heavy metal tracks. It features acoustic and clean electric guitars, as well as symphonic elements, giving it a more orchestral quality.
- Lyrics: The lyrics of the song are reflective and emotional, touching on themes of love, trust, and vulnerability. They convey a sense of intimacy and personal connection.
- Commercial Success: The song was a commercial success for Metallica. It reached high chart positions in several countries and received significant radio airplay, introducing the band to a broader audience.
- Legacy: “Nothing Else Matters” has become one of Metallica’s most iconic and enduring songs. It is often considered one of the greatest rock ballads of all time and is a fan favorite. The song’s universal appeal has led to its inclusion in various films, television shows, and commercials.
- Live Performances: Metallica has performed “Nothing Else Matters” at nearly every one of their concerts since its release. It is often a standout moment in their live shows, with James Hetfield delivering an emotive vocal performance.
- Cover Versions: The song has been covered by numerous artists from various genres, showcasing its universal appeal and enduring popularity.
Guitar Chords in Text Version
[Intro] Em Am Am/B C D Em D C Em D C Em D C G B7 Em [Verse 1] Em D C So close, no matter how far. Em D C Couldn't be much more from the heart. Em D C Forever trusting who we are, G B7 Em and nothing else matters. [Verse 2] D C Never opened myself this way. Em D C Life is ours, we live it our way. Em D C All these words I don't just say, G B7 Em and nothing else matters. [Verse 3] Em D C Trust I seek and I find in you. Em D C Every day for us something new. Em D C Open mind for a different view, G B7 Em And nothing else matters. [Chorus] C A D C A Never cared for what they do D C A Never cared for what they know, D Em Oh, but I know. [Verse 4] Em D C So close, no matter how far Em D C Em Couldn't be much more from the heart. D C Forever trusting who we are, G B7 Em And nothing else matters. [Chorus] C A D C A Never cared for what they do. D C A Never cared for what they know, D Em Oh, but I know. [Break] Em Am C D Em Am C D Em [Verse 5] Em D C I never opened myself this way. Em D C Life is ours, we live it our way. Em D C All these words I don't just say, G B7 Em And nothing else matters. [Verse 6] D C Trust I seek and I find in you. Em D C Every day for us something new. Em D C Open mind for a different view G B7 Em And nothing else matters. [Chorus] C A D C A Never cared for what they say. D C A Never cared for games they play. D C A Never cared for what they do. D C A Never cared for what they know, D Em Oh, and I know. [Guitar Solo] Em D C Em D C Em D C G B7 Em [Verse 7] Em D C So close, no matter how far. Em D C Couldn't be much more from the heart. Em D C Forever trusting who we are. G B7 Em No, nothing else matters. [Outro] Em
In the hush of twilight’s gentle grace,
I cradle my guitar in a quiet space.
With fingertips upon the strings I hover,
A melody emerges, my heart to uncover.
Guitar chords, like whispers in the night,
Paint the canvas of my soul with light.
Each fret, each strum, a story to unfold,
In the language of music, my tale is told.
I find the chords, their secrets and their lore,
They open doors to emotions I explore.
The song I play, it resonates within,
A journey through joy, sorrow, and chagrin.
From the softest touch to the strongest thrum,
The guitar chords in harmony become one.
They echo through the chambers of my heart,
A timeless connection, a work of art.
With every note, I bridge the divide,
Between dreams and reality, I ride the tide.
In the cadence and rhythm, I find my way,
Guided by the chords, I gently sway.
The chords on my guitar, they sing and speak,
In melodies and harmonies, they reach their peak.
They carry me to places yet unseen,
In the world of chords, I find what I mean.
So let the music flow from six strings strummed,
A journey of chords where feelings are plumbed.
With my guitar in hand, I play and soar,
In the realm of chords, forevermore.